Common India Visa Application Problems:

·         Is there a different version of the application that can be faxed or emailed to me?
No. You must use the online application form. This form is bar-coded and will store your information securely for faster processing. Handwritten application forms are no longer accepted.

·         Can I save my application, and come back to it later?
Unfortunately, your application data cannot be saved.

·         What is the difference between "present" and "permanent" address?
The visa application asks for your "present" and "permanent" address. You must use the address indicated on your driver's license (or other ID you are submitting as proof of address) to answer both questions. In other words your "present" and "permanent" address as stated on your visa application must match your proof of address document.

·         Do children require a visa to visit India?
Yes, all travelers including children must have a valid visa to travel to India. Please complete a separate application for each child. For minors, the parents should sign the application.

·         When I click on the link to the India online visa application a warning note appears that says ‘Untrusted Connection’. What do I do?
This occurs because you are accessing a website which is hosted and operated outside of the United States. Click ‘I understand the risk’, hit the button ‘get certificate’ and ‘add exception’. You will be redirected to the main page of India visa application.

·         What do I select as the “India Mission Office”?
Using the list at the bottom of this page, find your state of residence. The “India Mission Office” you will select is the name of the Consulate that your state of residence falls under. For example  if your state of residence is Pennsylvania, you will select ‘USA-New York’

·         What do I enter for Surname and Given Name?
Please be careful the name must be identical to the name as printed on your current passport. Surname is your last name and Given Name is your first and middle name (if any).

·         What is Citizenship/National ID number?
This question does not apply to you. Please type ‘NA’

·         Regarding the “Educational Qualification” what should I enter if I am currently in College?
Please select ‘Matriculation’. If you are a senior in High school, you select ‘Below Matriculation’.

·         Regarding the question “Any other valid Passport/Identity Certificate(IC) held”? What do I select?
If you hold more than one passport please complete this section. Otherwise, Please select ‘No’.

·         I am in College, what do I enter as ‘Profession/Occupation’?
Please select ‘student’, and enter your School Name for ‘Employer Name’ and its full address.

·         What do I fill out as ‘Type of visa’?
India has several visa types. I am going to discuss the generally requested, Tourism and Business: Tourist visas offered are 6 months, 5 years (60 months) and 10 years (120 months). Business visas offered are 1 year (12 months), 5 years (60 months) and 10 years (120 months). Please enter the actual number of months being requested. E.g. if you’re only doing a one-time tourist visit to India, you will need to enter ‘6 months’ visa. ‘Number of entries’ is always multiple. The Indian Government in the United States only issues a multiple entry visas for both tourism and business.

·         What is the Port of Arrival in India?
The port of arrival is the location at which you first enter India. Your port of arrival is the name of the city where you initially enter India.

·         I don’t specifically remember the dates of my previous visit to India.
Please fill out the approximate date, month and year. You do not have to know the exact date.

·         I have visited many countries in the last 10 years. Do I have to list all of them?
You do not have to list all of them. Please list as many as you can. There is no correct number to list.

·         I do not know anyone in India, what do I list as a reference name in India?
Please enter a hotel name, address and phone number as your reference. You do not need to provide a hotel confirmation and may enter the address information of the hotel you propose to stay at.  If you are traveling with a tour group please contact the tour company for this information.

·         What is meant by “Reference Name in the USA”?
A reference is someone who knows you. This may be anyone you know in the United States; your parent(s), brother, sister, best friend, colleague or a tour coordinator. This may also be your emergency contact in the United States.

·         If I completed the online application, but the visa application PDF did not appear on the print page, what should I do?
Most often, this occurs when there are problems with the Adobe Reader on the computer. We suggest trying to reprint the application by going to Track Passport, entering the application id and last name, then clicking "Reprint Application Here". If that does not work, try using a different computer to reprint your application in Track Passport.

India Mission Offices in the USA
Consulate General of India- Chicago:
Jurisdiction: States of Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin

Consulate General of India- Houston:
Jurisdiction: States of Arkansas, Kansas, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska

Consulate General of India- New York:
Jurisdiction: States of Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont

Consulate General of India- San Francisco:
Jurisdiction: States of Alaska, Arizona, California, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, Guam

Consulate General of India- Atlanta:
Jurisdiction: States of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virgin Islands

Embassy of India- Washington, D.C.:
Jurisdiction: Delaware, District of Columbia, Kentucky, Maryland, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, American Samoa, Armed Forces Americas, Armed Forces Europe, Armed Forces Pacific, Bahamas, Bermuda, Guam, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Northern Marianas and Palau.